Fisheries is expected to play a meaningful role in Dominica's effort to restore and grow its economy post Hurricane Maria, including ensuring the food security of the nation. As such the National Resilience Development Strategy (NRDS) 2030, intuitive of Government's agriculture development policy, places important emphasis on fisheries development for attainment of food security. Furthermore, the Government recognizes the role that key fisheries infrastructure will play in creating the enabling environment for implementation of standards necessary to penetrate foreign markets to generate foreign exchange, while securing livelihoods through sustainable employment in the local fisheries sector.
Fisheries Complexes in Dominica were designed to address availability, storage and post-harvest quality of fish for the local market and export trade. The Roseau Fisheries Market (RFM) in particular was designed to address a number of critical problems and create a centralized location for fish post-harvest and quality enhancement services for the fishers of Roseau and nationally. Government is now making significant investments to rehabilitate the facility and enhance its operations to make it more modern, efficient and sustainable.
To advance the fisheries sector and contribute further to the advancement of the Blue Economy, as stated in the budget address for the fiscal year 2022-2023, the Government will engage in public-private partnerships to optimize the operations and benefits from fisheries complexes. These interventions will ensure that fisheries can make a fair contribution towards the ultimate goal of Agriculture contributing at least XCD 700 million to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by 2030.
Objectives of the Call for Proposals
The Ministry of Blue and Green Economy, Agriculture and National Food Security is seeking to enter into a Public Private Partnership agreement for the management of the Fish Marketing Operations at the newly rehabilitated Roseau Fisheries Complex (RFC). As such, the Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica is inviting proposals from eligible individuals and companies, with the intention to conclude an agreement to manage and operate the Roseau Fisheries Complex.
General Scope of Operation involves:
- Marketing of fish for the local and export market;
- Cold Storage facilities;
- Ice production;
- Processing facilities; and
- Management of Public Fish Market
Amenities of the Roseau Fish Market include:
- Enhanced fish retail market to accommodate up to seventeen fish vendors
- Cold storage 11 tons x 3 rooms
- Ice making system 4.5 tons/day x 2 facilities
- Fish Handling and Processing Room
- Fish cutting and vacuum packing
- Refrigerated truck (2 tons)
Individuals and/or companies registered to conduct business in the Commonwealth of Dominica are eligible to submit proposals. Joint projects with other organizations are also eligible, with one lead organization submitting the application and partners with clear roles stated in the application.
Applicants must demonstrate the capacity to leverage the funding required to sustain the operations of the fish market at the point when Government support, if provided, comes to an end.
Competence and experience in the following areas are desired, but not limited to:
- Management of food processing establishments
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Systems (Seafood)
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs)
- Sanitation and Hygiene Controls
- Pest Controls
How to Apply
All proposals should be in type-format (hard or electronic copy) and have a table of contents, accompanied by a letter of interest, and exhibits or attachments, where necessary. The letter of interest should include the address, phone number and email address of the contact person or persons authorized to negotiate.
Proposals must include fee structures, to include the classification of personnel and the hourly rate for each classification. Applicants are also invited to list any additional services that you foresee may be necessary, if any, and list the proposed costs for such services.
Selection and Award
A competitive approach will be adopted for the award of the contract. All applicants will receive a notification following the review of their submissions.
The technical evaluation will be conducted according to the following technical and strategic criteria:
- Management approach and methodology: Is the proposal methodology likely to achieve the agriculture policy vision, operation's stated objectives and contribute strongly to a sustainable fisheries sector? Is the proposal in alignment with the specific priorities for this call for proposals? (30 points)
- Applicant capacity: Does the applicant have the performance capacity, qualification and experience to manage this facility effectively and efficiently, given its scale and complexity? (10 points)
- Maintenance plan: Is the maintenance plan adequate to ensure that upkeep of the infrastructure and operationalization of equipment and machinery?
- Financial Proposal: Is the proposed fee for all costs associated in providing the requested services (time and materials), reasonable? (10 points)
Deadline for the submissions of the management proposal is September 30th, 2022. You may submit proposals before the deadline. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Management proposals for consideration should be addressed and submitted to the following Office:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Blue and Green Economy, Agriculture and National Food Security
2nd Floor, Government Headquarters
Tel: (767) 266 3282 / 3211